CREST, a non-profit, multi-tiered membership body, enables professionals and organisations to build trust in the digital world by raising professional standards and providing measurable quality assurance for the worldwide cybersecurity industry, especially in the data and technical information security market.
What is CREST penetration testing?
A CREST penetration test is an attack simulation authorised by the customer organisation to test their cyber security resilience. Qualified ethical hackers carry out this assessment.
This assessment is carried out by a CREST penetration testing service provider against a computer system or network to identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses in security measures.
CREST approved penetration testing is the gold standard for penetration testing companies. Every member has to undergo rigorous checks and accreditation processes that are independently audited and endorsed. Only cybersecurity companies with high technical ability, procedures, and controls are passed as CREST certified company.
As a CREST member organisation, we adhere to a strict code of conduct, meaning you can trust us to deliver a world-class service. Our CREST certified penetration testers are highly skilled and experienced professionals well-equipped to conduct comprehensive and practical tests. This gives businesses peace of mind that their assets, including web applications and operating systems, are secure and their data is safe.
CREST member companies sign a professional code of conduct and demonstrate their skill set, quality control, processes, and delivery process. Every CREST member company goes through rigorous checks. These requirements are defined as must-have prerequisites to be a member of the CREST accreditation body.
Cyber attacks are not a matter of if, but when. Be prepared.
Box-ticking approach to penetration tests is long gone. We help you identify, analyse and remediate vulnerabilities so you don’t see the same pentest report next time.
Why is CREST accredited penetration testing important?
Having CREST certification for your business demonstrates your commitment to high technical standards and adherence to the code and conduct of CREST.
CREST, the ‘ Council of Registered Ethical Security Testers’, is the international accreditation and certification authority for technical information security professionals. It sets and maintains the high standards of capability and professional practice in information security that are essential for providing confidence to users of information systems.
There are several related topics we have covered extensively you might want to explore:
CREST penetration testing guide and methodology
Learn about the CREST Defensible Penetration Test (CDPT) and business benefits
What is a CREST-approved provider, and why is it important?
Understanding the CREST Penetration Testing Maturity Model
Your guide to CREST vulnerability assessments
CREST and CHECK Penetration Testing Explained – Which is Right for Your Business?
CREST Certification benefits, cost, OSCP equivalent and other details
CREST approved penetration testing for your business
Procuring third-party penetration testing is essential for your business because it provides an unbiased and independent assessment of your security posture.
A third-party pen tester from CREST-approved companies will have no affiliation with your organisation, nor with any product solution selling motives, and will be looking at your systems with fresh eyes, which can often lead to identifying security flaws and vulnerabilities you may not have been aware of.
Benefits of Cyphere’s CREST Penetration Testing
- Reduced Risk: Identify and eliminate vulnerabilities before they are exploited, significantly reducing the risk of costly data breaches.
- Enhanced Security Posture: Validate the effectiveness of existing security controls, leading to a more robust overall security posture.
- Improved Employee Security Awareness: Increase employee awareness of security risks and best practices, minimising the chance of human error.
- Faster Time to Market: Test new technologies and software in a safe environment, streamlining deployment and reducing time to market.
- Continuous Improvement: Establish a baseline for future testing, enabling ongoing monitoring and improvement in security posture.
- Compliance Assurance: Meet regulatory requirements (PCI DSS, ISO 27001, Commission Audits, HIPAA, and GDPR) and demonstrate commitment to data security.
- Increased Customer Confidence: Gain peace of mind and a competitive edge by showcasing a proactive approach to security, potentially attracting new business.
Secure code is an essential element for business growth
Show your customers and supply chain you can manage application risks with secure coding practices.
CREST approved penetration testers and sector-specific experience
The testers conducting assessments carry their registered ethical security testers’ qualifications beyond CREST’s certifications. These may include certifications from the CREST certification body, offensive security, ISC2, Microsoft, AWS and other organisations.
Our certified penetration testers have professional certifications around various security domains, including but not limited to:
- OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional)
- CREST registered penetration testers certifications such as CRT, CPSA, and CCT.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) from EC Council
- CISSP from ISC2
- Burp-certified security practitioner
- Kubernetes and cloud security associates
- AWS-certified security speciality
- Other internationally recognised accreditations are related to penetration testing, cyber incident response, and threat intelligence.
Our experience involves serving organisations globally at various business stages; these scenarios include contextual knowledge around sectors and verticals:
- M&A due diligence
- Business as usual assessments (annually or upon change)
- Advanced digital transformation
- Multi-cloud security strategy reviews
- Supply chain due diligence
- Sector-specific cyber health checks
- SaaS solution onboarding security reviews
Penetration testing (CREST Certified) for various security disciplines
The following are the different CREST penetration testing services offered by Cyphere:
Network Pen Testing
Our comprehensive network penetration testing services are designed to assess your network’s internal and external security.
By identifying and exploiting vulnerabilities, we can help you identify and fix critical security issues before attackers can use them. This type of assessment includes external penetration testing and internal penetration testing.
Firewall Security Assessment
We take a comprehensive and holistic approach to firewall security assessment. We understand that to provide truly effective security, your firewall must be configured and deployed in the most optimum way possible.
Web Application Pen Testing
We use various techniques to pentest web applications and identify API security vulnerabilities, including manual testing, scanning, and fuzzing. Our experienced Web pen testers are well-versed in identifying cyber security issues.
Cloud Penetration Test
Our cloud pentest service is the best in the business because we have a team of experienced and certified professionals who identify emerging threats and known vulnerabilities and demonstrate how to exploit vulnerabilities in cloud-based systems safely. We extensively cover Azure pen testing, AWS penetration testing, GCP pen testing, SaaS penetration testing and Office 365 security reviews.
Mobile Penetration Test
Our mobile application pentest service is the most comprehensive coverage of device-level and mobile application vulnerabilities. We use various assessment methods and tools to identify all potential vulnerabilities in your mobile apps, including those that traditional security tests may not detect.
Red Team Operations
Red teaming operations is the process of assuming the role of an adversary to identify an organisation’s vulnerabilities and potential weaknesses. Our team of experienced CREST approved penetration testers provide red team assessments to help clients anticipate, prevent and mitigate risks.
Threat Intelligence Assessments
This offering includes carrying out checks without providing prior information to the customer’s Security Operations Centre staff. It aims to measure the current attack surface and validate the effectiveness of an organisation’s logging, monitoring and alerting mechanisms.
Why choose Cyphere for CREST approved penetration testing?
Cyphere, a CREST accredited company, offers an alternative approach to the industry’s standard report and run’ penetration services. This is based on our experience across various sectors and understanding customer problems regarding scheduling collisions, detailed reports addressing varying audiences, reporting deadlines, challenges to remediate risks and the correct language for the right audience.
- We’re an independent security provider, so you can be confident that our findings are objective and unbiased. As a CREST pen testing services provider, we ensure that our approach is independent and not influenced by third-party reselling or product push interests. We also have a proven track record of success. We have helped businesses across multiple sectors strengthen their cyber security posture and understand sector-specific threat landscapes through our pen testing and threat intelligence services.
- No retest & cancellation fees We pride ourselves on providing a no-retest policy so you know your system is secure. In addition, we charge no cancellation fees, so you can be sure that you are getting the best possible value for your money. With our commitment to providing the best possible service, you can be sure that you are making the right choice when you choose Cyphere.
- Free debrief calls: To give you peace of mind, we offer free debrief calls after each engagement so that you can ask your questions and get insights from our team of experts. With Cyphere on your side, you can rest assured that your network is as secure as possible.
- Risk Remediation Plans We provide comprehensive data protection and risk remediation plans to help you mitigate the risks associated with your digital assets. In addition, our team of experts is constantly updated on the latest vulnerabilities and exploits, so you can be confident that your systems are secure.
- No-muss, no-fuss approach: Our no-muss, no-fuss approach will do the job without hassle. Our team is experienced and knowledgeable, and we’ll ensure your system is secure from any potential threats.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on CREST pen testing
What is CREST in cyber security?
CREST in Cyber Security, a global cybersecurity non-profit, fosters industry collaboration through services that improve individual and organisational cyber security performance.
Should we fix all of the vulnerabilities that are reported?
Cyphere offers free risk remediation guidance support after all our pen tests.
As tempting as it might be to try and fix every vulnerability as soon as it’s discovered, it’s not always possible – or practical. A business risk appetite must be considered before starting the never-ending ‘fix all’ cycle. Vulnerability triage and risk remediation processes require understanding asset criticality and the impact of findings from pen tests.
What does CREST accredited mean?
Is pen testing disruptive to our environment?
Penetration testers take steps to minimise disruptions and environmental impact by working with clients to develop a plan and deploying safe test cases. It includes using reliable tools and manual approaches to identify security flaws.
As a CREST-certified company, we know how simulated cyber attack scenarios may cause issues in production environments. Based on our experience, we ensure that every detail is checked to minimise the impact with excellent communication and project management skill sets. Denial of Service or low-level attacks are explicitly out of the scope of our assessments.
How do we prepare for penetration tests?
Preparation for a pentest includes the following key steps:
- Identify the assets that will be tested and ensure any fragile purchases are noted.
- Understand and double-check the objectives, including test basis and testing types with customer contact.
- Exchange details around the point of contact, including escalation point of communications during the assessment.
- Develop and share a CREST pen test project plan with the customer. It includes details about our prerequisites, various phases in the project, resourcing and scheduling details and contacts.
- Schedule a kick-off meeting to ensure everything is in place before the pen test commences.
- Post technical delivery; we schedule debrief calls and retests to ensure the customer is aware of possible situations and outcomes.
Get in touch to schedule a strategy call, an annual pen test or discuss security concerns with our security consultants directly.
Harman Singh is a security professional with over 15 years of consulting experience in both public and private sectors.
As the Managing Consultant at Cyphere, he provides cyber security services to retailers, fintech companies, SaaS providers, housing and social care, construction and more. Harman specialises in technical risk assessments, penetration testing and security strategy.
He regularly speaks at industry events, has been a trainer at prestigious conferences such as Black Hat and shares his expertise on topics such as ‘less is more’ when it comes to cybersecurity. He is a strong advocate for ensuring cyber security as an enabler for business growth.
In addition to his consultancy work, Harman is an active blogger and author who has written articles for Infosecurity Magazine, VentureBeat and other websites.